You can make your own almond paste. It’s super easy and way more cost effective than buying the jar at the market. Keep it in the fridge like a log of icebox cookies and just slice off what you need. (I should note, if you are looking for a marzipan recipe, this is not it.)
- 125g sugar
- 40g honey
- 50g water
- 250g almonds (or other nuts)
- 2T butter
To Make the Paste:
- Bring sugar, honey, and water to a boil for about a minute.
- Meanwhile, grind the almonds in a food processor.
- Add the hot syrup to the finely ground nuts in a steady stream.
- Continue processing for about 15 minutes or until the paste is very smooth. If it is too thick to continue, you can add some simple syrup to the bowl by the tablespoon to loosen the mixture just enough to keep moving.
- When you are happy with the consistency, form the paste into a disk on a piece of plastic wrap and chill.
- At the point when the paste is cool, you can knead in the butter until smooth. Do this directly on your work surface. It is sticky at first, but smooths out and cleans up easily.
- Roll your almond paste into a log and wrap in plastic for future use.